How do you describe the holidays? Joyous? Busy? Stressful? All of the above?
Read on for some of our favorite healthy holiday tips to keep you on track during this busy time of year
1. Don’t Overindulge During the Holiday Parties by eating a small healthy meal or drinking a protein shake before attending holiday parties. Something with protein will keep you feeling full. If you go to the goodie table hungry, chances are you will eat more than necessary to satiate your party palate.
2. Drink water at holiday gatherings. If consuming alcohol while singing the Yule Tide Carols, be sure to hydrate with water as well. The dehydrating effects of alcohol cause your digestive system to absorb far less nutrients from your food. You can also use a hydrate supplement in your water which adds electrolytes, antioxidants, MCT’s, vitamins and minerals to protect the body from the harmful effects of dehydration.
3. Pack yourself a light and healthy snack such as a protein bar for long shopping excursions. Eating greens promotes subtle, light, and flexible energy – all necessary to maneuver the crowds at the malls.
4. Greens especially are packed full of essential vitamins and minerals including Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc, Vitamins A, C, E and K. They are crammed with Fiber, Folic Acid, Chlorophyll and many other micronutrients and phytochemicals.
5. Eat Light and Bright- Like the brightly colored lights of the season, many wonderful vegetables glow with reds, oranges, greens and yellows. These bright and festive goodies are essential during the rush of holidays.
6. Strengthen your immune system, blood and respiratory system with the vital nutrients in these colorful vegetables. They also promote healthy intestinal flora, which is essential for helping to fight off various cold and flu viruses that will surely come our way.
Read part two of our healthy holiday tips here!