So you’re on the right track- you’ve added a regular workout program into your routine. Maybe you have even increased the protein in your diet to help you build muscle in the gym. However, is that enough to give your body what it is losing during your workout to increase your strength and improve your overall performance? If you want to achieve a new strength goal, boost your intensity during workouts or are looking to take your endurance to the next level, then a workout supplement may help you achieve these goals.
Before Your Workout
- Carbohydrates are beneficial to refuel your muscles. Carbohydrates are stored in your body as glycogen. Low glycogen levels are associated with fatigue, so eating carbohydrates before your workout can avoid low energy during activity.
- Vitamin C is a great pre workout antioxidant, as it helps our bodies deal with metabolic stress, such as a workout.
- BCAA or branched chain amino acid is a blend of essential amino acids, which help the body build muscle and repair tissues that can be damaged during a workout.
After Your Workout
- Protein is a necessary building block of muscle. If you are looking to increase muscle mass in the gym, it is important to eat 10-15 grams of protein afterwards to aid your body in this process.
- Electrolytes and antioxidants can help to reduce your recovery time and provide the proper support to your body’s muscular and nervous systems.
Are you scratching your head wondering how you will add the new supplements into your exercise regime? Luckily, there are pre workout supplements and post workout supplements available to take the guess work out of replenishing what your body needs before and after your workouts.